Maternal mental health awareness is a serious topic and the points below in no way reflect the severity of it. Still, the things which can aggravate a mom who’s having a tough time can vary in intensity.
Interesting things that can make a mum feel crazy
- Being questioned constantly on why you’re still breastfeeding your 4 month old when formula exists.
- Baby screaming every time you dare to take anymore than two steps away.
- Amidst the chaos and stress of caring for baby, being expected to also keep an immaculate home with small items like remote controls perfectly arranged perpendicular to the edge of the table. Many other mums do it. Why not you?
- Being called an overprotective mother when you show any hint of concern for the safety of your child. Let her chew on that plastic bag with her sharp little teeth! Who cares that she might swallow bits of it? That’s a sharp table corner that he could bang his head on? So what? Babies bang their heads all the time. Let’s watch him head straight for it. You do too much.
- Being made to feel like a smothering mother when you show any amount of affection to your children.
- Baby has hit one year old and still waking up a couple of times or more per night.
You know this is all meant very much in a tongue-in-cheek way, of course but when you’re in the throes of depression, it doesn’t take much to push you over the edge. It takes even less if you’re unfortunate enough to be around people who know how fragile you are but choose to try to break you anyway.
It’s maternal mental health awareness week. Mental health awareness is a topic that’s close to my heart and I do believe that it should be close to everyone’s heart. If you feel like you may be close to some sort of a breaking point, you need to talk to someone. Don’t suffer in silence. Ideally a professional. Look up free resources close to you. You owe it to yourself and to everyone who loves you.
What kinds of things affect you mentally as a mom?